Shirt: Madewell // Drape Cardigan: Express // Camel Cardigan: J. Crew Men // Denim: Madewell // Bag: Fossil // Shoes: Dolce Vita
- Start with a thin basic top, solids are great but sometimes a stripe or print will work, usually in a neutral.
- Add a cardigan or sweater. This is a good layer to introduce a bold color, if you'd like to.
- Top it off with a jacket or coat--my favorites are a denim jacket or a peacoat--usually in a neutral.
- Scarves! They are a MUST for me and usually my favorite part of any outfit. I like to pull the colors all together with a scarf.
- Don't forget to add accessories to really complete the look and at least appear to have it all together--watch, ring, necklaces.
Quick Layering Tips:
- Start with lightweight tops, keeping them relatively form-fitting especially as your first layer.
- Always be conscious of proportions and length. Don't hide your waist line! When in doubt, use a belt to cinch you in--either over all the layers or somewhere in between.
- Play with texture. It's the element that keeps it interesting and polished. A mix of materials is more flattering as one material will make you look heavy and dowdy.